The city of Huntsville is located in the piney woods of East Texas between Dallas and Houston. It is the seat of Walker County and was founded in 1836 by residents Pleasant and Ephraim Gray.
About Sam Houston
Sam Houston State University is named in honor of Samuel Houston (1793-1863), a President of the Republic of Texas, Governor of the States of Texas and Tennessee, U.S. Senator, and Tennessee congressman.
SHSU opened October 10, 1879 as Sam Houston Normal Institute, the first teacher training school in the southwestern United States. In its 135 years, Sam Houston State University has become a leader in academics, athletics, service, and research.
About the Site
The Buildings of Sam Houston State University documents the changes of the SHSU campus in Huntsville, Texas from its inception in 1879 through tomorrow.
Austin Hall is the oldest building west of the Mississippi River to have been used continuously by an educational institution. It was the original building of Austin College and has served Huntsville in multiple capacities since 1852.
The Peabody Memorial Library is the first separate college library building in Texas. It is the university's oldest extant building constructed after its founding in 1879.
The sixth permanent structure on the SHNI grounds was the first science building. Today the Marks Administration Building houses the president's office.
The university's second library is now home to various administrative offices and the Estill Building still carries the name of the longest-serving SHSU president.
Old Main - containing classrooms, administrative offices, and the Memorial Auditorium - was once described as "the most beautiful building owned by the State of Texas." It was destroyed by fire in 1982.
The Industrial Arts Building (1910-83) was the fourth permanent building and housed the newly-formed Department of Agriculture.
One of the first indoor swimming pools in east Texas was inside the Women's Gymnasium (1913-83), the campus's fifth building.
The campus demonstration school, and later Huntsville Junior High School, was located within the Education Building (1918-83), the seventh building on campus.