Four West

Four West

Timeline

1958-59 Constructed


Four West

Student housing became popular along 17th Street in the late-1950s to early-1960s, replacing landscaped residential areas. The western edge of Jackson-Shaver Hall and the eastern tip of the old bleachers at Pritchett Field can be seen in this aerial photograph; later, four small hosues and Adams Hall would be constructed in the area between.


Four West

An aerial photograph of the four small houses that make up "Four West."


"Four West" was a (seemingly-unofficial) designation used by the Department of Residence Life for the four small houses west of campus along 17th Street, consisting of:

Fraternity Row was a semi-official name given to these houses because of the fraternities that lived there beginning in the early 1960s:

  • Delta Tau Delta (Epsilon Zeta chapter)
  • Alpha Tau Omega (Zeta Mu chapter)
  • Sigma Chi (Epsilon Psi chapter)
  • Kappa Alpha (Gamma Tau chapter)

 

Presented 2003-2015 | buildingshsu is an independent website and not affiliated with sam houston state university.