King Hall was a male-only dormitory at the northern end of campus situated along Avenue J. It had a capacity of 130 residents.
Both King and Elliott Halls were built on land acquired from the heirs of Mrs. Harry May, who operated a boarding house for SHNI students. The building is believed to have burned around 1918. The Berkat Den was later built on the site.
It was sometimes considered part of the "King/Lawrence/Mitchell" family of housing.
The 2008 Campus Master Plan suggested that the dorm be demolished and replaced with new student housing. In February 2012, Residence Life announced the dorm would be "offline" for the Fall 2012 semester. An April 2012 Houstonian article revealed the dorm was scheduled for demolition soon, but that it would be replaced with a parking lot and not a new dormitory as originally planned. This change came about from the increase in traffic in the area with the 2011 opening of Old Main Market .
The dormitory was demolished during the summer of 2012. That July it was first announced that the site was being planned for a new Student Health and Counseling Center.
comments powered by Disqus