The western entrance to campus at the northeast corner of Sam Houston Avenue and 20th Street has changed in both appearance and purpose since it was staked out in the early/mid Twentieth Century.
The class of 1934’s graduation gift to the campus was two brick pillars that were originally installed at the northeast corner of Avenue L (later Sam Houston Avenue) and 20th Street (later Bowers Boulevard). The following year, a metal arch was presented by the class of 1935 that spanned what was then the southern terminus of Avenue K (later University Avenue).
Signage changed in the 1960s as the campus dropped Teachers from its name and changed from College to University. By the 1970s the original pillars had been whitewashed, the space between the two had been filled in with a brick wall, and University Avenue merged seamlessly into the parking lot built on the site of the Greek Theatre.
President James Gaertner updated and upgraded campus signage during his early years in office. Besides signs for buildings and parking, this corner received a facelift as well: the original pillars were removed, replaced with a 30-foot long brick and limestone sign. A duplicate of the new sign was installed on the adjacent (southeast) corner of Bowers Boulevard.